Thursday, May 21, 2009

Hooray for America’s next ‘idol’!


I am so happy that Kris Allen won American Idol! So, so happy!!! I don’t even watch American Idol (because we only get PBS and sometimes NBC), but I just really didn’t want Adam Lambert to win. He is downright freaky! But Kris is so cool; I like how is so shy and unassuming. And I heard he almost acted like he was not going to accept the title, saying “Adam deserves this.” Is that good sportsmanship or what? (But buddy, YOU deserve that, not Adam!) Before the finale, I had read reviews of people who thought Kris was too “wholesome” to win against gothic-punk-rocker-ego-man. Wholesome? That’s what I love about him. (I do always favor the underdog, though.) But obviously, America does too. And good thing!


Yesterday I had this scary moment where I was checking to see who the next “Idol” was—I didn’t even know when the finale was; I thought it was Tuesday night—and the Google search returned something to the effect of “Adam Lambert wins American Idol.” My heart sunk when I saw this. “Noooo!” I internally panicked until I actually went on the real Idol site and found out that the finale was Wednesday night, and that America’s next ‘idol’ was, as of then, unknown and unannounced. Whew! That was a close call. I didn’t realize just how much I wanted Kris to win. Today when I heard the news as I was riding to class with my brother I couldn’t contain my glee. Eddie (my brother) probably thought I was just another one of those star-crossed freaks who spend the duration of their lives following reality TV shows. Actually I think it is overhyped, but this season, Kris was the one. It was just so clear.

Can you believe there were over 100 million votes cast? That is insane! But that also means a lot of people watched the show, which is great, because a video about adoption, which highlighted the value and potential of each human life, which was produced by CatholicVote.com (a very cool organization) was aired during the commercial break. So, a lot of people got to see the video!

Now, for a rant. I’ve already said American Idol isn’t my favorite show, but why did they have to let ‘bikini girl’ appear. What was the point of that? Clearly she wasn’t invited because of her fabulous voice, amazing talent, or sparkling personality. Nope. Just for her ‘hot’ body. Why must we be so shallow! Does anyone realize that promoting that kind of thing does nothing to advance society’s s view of women as beautiful, unique beings? Why do women like her allow themselves to be gawked at and admired only for their ‘sex appeal’? Women aren’t dolls just for men’s pleasure and misuse. Plus, I’m sure that a lot of guys out there are trying to live a pure life, and they don’t want to see that. A lot of women don’t want to see that. I don’t want to see that. So, for a family-friendly show why would they put stupid stuff like that on there? If we did get FOX, it would be so frustrating to sit down together as a family to watch Idol, expecting to see some normal folks sing, and ending up seeing that kind of garbage. Possibly nothing disturbs and disgusts me more than seeing men ogle women like that. Now maybe they show a lot worse stuff on that show, but the point is THEY SHOULDN’T. I think it is discriminatory towards women.

Alright, that’s out of my system. But, really, isn’t that just so annoying? I think a lot of women just don’t realize what they are doing to themselves and others when they dress like that. I feel bad for Kris, who wed“longtime girlfriend Katy O'Connell Allen” on September 26, 2008, having to see that. I wonder how he feels about that sort of thing. According to Wikipedia, Kris “is a devout Christian” and “has done missionary work around the world.” So, he just might be a moral kind of guy. My favorite fact part of the article, though, was when they mentioned that he is “proficient with the...ukulele.” Haha! I hope he stays good and doesn’t kind all Hollywood-ized. I’ll be praying for him, and Adam too; it must be hard to come so close to winning and not make it. But I guess that’s show biz. : )
Photo Credit here

0 comments: